Saturday, March 26, 2016

Review: Not That Easy - Radhika Sanghani

Not That Easy
Radhika Sanghani 
Series: Virgin, #2
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publisher: Berkley
Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
Goodreads 

Thanks to Penguin Group Berkley for the eARC I received via Netgalley!

It has taken me a long time to write this review, mostly because I was dreading it. I had high hopes for Not That Easy after thoroughly enjoying Virgin. However, while Virgin had a lot of humor, feeling like an episode of MTV's Awkward., Not That Easy was kind of sad and cringe-worthy.

In Virgin, Ellie is a 21-year-old university student trying to lose her virginity. Now in Not That Easy, Ellie is determined to go through her "slutty phase." While there is absolutely no problem with her taking control of her sexuality, it kind of felt more like desperation and seeking validation through something she couldn't even really control. She actually writes a column for an online magazine about her embarrassing sexual experiences, which wouldn't be terrible except for that it was for an unpaid internship. Seriously. Girl sold herself to her job for free. Throughout Not That Easy, Ellie ends up losing her sense of self, eventually making huge mistakes that she really regrets. Despite these mistakes, I think the worst part about it is that at the end, it doesn't feel as though Ellie has changed or learned all that much.

Another thing that bothered me was that at some points it felt like the book turned into a Cosmo article. Obviously this book was about a 22-year-old exploring her sexuality, but it was very graphic and kind of uncomfortable at times. Additionally, Ellie was really shallow and it made it a lot harder to sympathize with her.

Overall, I really wanted to enjoy Not That Easy - I was hoping for all the humor from Virgin - but in the end, it missed the mark for me. Perhaps it's just for people of a different sort of humor than myself.

(On a side note, I just noticed that this book is titled Bitch in France, and I think that's really appropriate.)

- Kiersten

What sequel were you excited for but ended up disappointed by?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment