Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books On My Fall TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Here at We Live and Breathe Books, two of us choose five books each week. This weeks topic is...


Books On My Fall TBR

Kiersten's Picks

The Fantasticks
Tom Jones and Harvey Schmidt
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

College is hard and gets in the way of all my fun YA novels. But that doesn't mean I'm not reading - being a theater design major means reading a lot of plays. This week, my set design class is starting our project on The Fantasticks, so I'll be reading it, and listening to the music, very soon.


Company
Book by George Furth
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim

Company is another musical I'll be reading and listening to this week. This musical is for my costume design class. My costume class is quite intense and I have to read and design the show in a week. This should be interesting.

Moonchildren
Michael Weller
Goodreads | Amazon

Of course, my design classes aren't the only ones that require I read plays - I'm also taking a play analysis class this semester. You may have figured it out (it's not obvious at all), but one must read plays in order to analyze them. Moonchildren is the play we will be discussing later this week, so I'll be reading this soon.

A Flea in Her Ear
Georges Feydeau 
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

This play isn't exactly for a class - this play is one that my school will be doing later this school year. Even though I'm a costume focus within my major, I am assisting lighting design for this show, so I must read this play. I'm sure you can guess when I need to read this play... this week! I am in quite a predicament.

A Thousand Nights
E.K. Johnston
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

IT'S NOT A PLAY! HUZZAH! I actually contemplated listing my calculus textbook since I've been relearning calc 1 and 2 over the weekend in anticipation of my first calc 3 exam tomorrow (well, today now), but I saw that Noor mentioned this one below, so I decided to include it. This is one book that I really want to find time for in the next two or so weeks. Since I have an eARC of this, I'm way more likely to actually read it than a physical copy. But I'm still insanely busy - if the four plays I need to read this week weren't enough, I'm also going into technical rehearsals for Kiss Me, Kate, a show I was the associate costume designer on, on Thursday. Woooooo! I love not sleeping.

I apologize that this Top Ten Tuesday turned into a pity party. I hope all you lovely people are able to spread your Fall TBR out over more than a week.

Noor's Picks

Illuminae
Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff 
The Illuminae Files, #1
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Not only does this have a beautiful, hardcore cover, but it sounds so exciting and thrilling and ever since I got my hands on it at BEA I've been anticipating reading it. I've got a few books I'll be tackling before this one but it won't be long before I see what's in these ~600 pages.

Black Widow: Forever Red
Margaret Stohl
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Marvel won't give us a Black Widow movie, but at least Margaret Stohl has given us a Black Widow novel. Not only do I adore Margaret Stohl as a human being, but I also just love Black Widow as a character and so I am high key excited to read this book and expunge my mind of anything Natasha Romanoff did in Age of Ultron.

A Thousand Nights
E.K. Johnston
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

Fairytale retellings -- I know 1001 Nights isn't a fairytale exactly -- are honestly my favorite concept, I would go to war for a good retelling. This one in particular looks like it'll be great so I'm hopeful. It doesn't come out until the end of October so while I have to wait a month like normal people, Kiersten has a NetGalley ARC, so if she gets to it before I do, I'll definitely be harassing her for details.

Please Ignore Vera Dietz
A.S. King
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

After I read I Crawl Through It (review here), I immediately wanted to explore other works by A.S. King. I honestly just picked this one because it had a cover I liked and at least one person said they liked it in the Goodreads reviews of I Crawl Through It. I'm interested in seeing the variation in her writing and this could very well not be the next A.S. King book I read, but I know I'm definitely going to try to read something by her soon.

Kafka on the Shore
Haruki Murakami
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository

I've been meaning to read this, and Murakami in general, for an obscenely long period of time, and I've actually had this sitting on my bookshelf for a while, but for some reason my mind decided that this was a book I needed to read while flying so I'm going to read it on November 10th, on my flight to New York.

What's on your TBR?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment