Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Characters that are Fellow Book Nerds

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Here at We Live and Breathe Books, two of us choose five things each week. This week's topic is...


Characters that are fellow book nerds!

Amrutha's Picks
  1. Cather Avery from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - The book is literally called Fangirl. When I saw this prompt, Cath was the first character I thought of, because not only does she live and breathe books, she literally writes her own super popular fanfiction. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I used to beta-read Harry Potter fanfiction when I was in middle school and early high school, so Cath really resonated with me there, especially with all of the Simon Snow/Harry Potter references in the book. P.S. I'm really interested to see how Carry On (the fanfiction from the novel) turns out in an actual publication by Rainbow Rowell! 
  2. Alaska Young from Looking for Alaska by John Green - "When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books." I feel like this is a quote that applies to any of us here at We Live and Breathe Books -- my room and my car and almost any space that I have ever occupied is clustered with books around and in stacks and in boxes and in nooks and crannies. Alaska embodies that image of a fellow "book nerd," to a tee. There is always something around to read, and she gets that that is something to strive for. 
  3. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - I literally could not resist. My favorite frizzy-haired know-it-all from Harry Potter. Although she reads a little too much nonfiction for me, no one knows better how good curling up with a good book is than Hermione. Hermione literally manages to siphon knowledge from books while still having a rockin' time reading them. I aspire to be as awesome as she is. 
  4. Klaus Baudelaire from A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket - Just like Hermione, Klaus saves his and his loved ones' lives using the power of knowledge (gained from books). I just really loved Klaus because he used JUST RANDOM KNOWLEDGE (he didn't even have magic, sorry Hermione) to save the day. I feel like when I was a kid this is how I imagined reading would impact my life, and while there have been no death threats (yet), I feel should I ever need to save the life of someone I love, the information will probably come straight out of a book. 
  5. Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - This needs no explanation. Lizzie Bennett is well read and sassy and lands the hot rich guy who changes because of how much he grows to respect her. Lizzie lives the dream life and I truly believe reading is the first step to allowing me to become her. Lizzie slays the game. 
Marlon's Picks
  1. William Herondale from The Infernal Devices series by Casandra Clare- Will breaks my little heart. But he does so unlike most characters - with good source material, ranging from Tennyson to A Tale of Two Cities. The latter is also a roadmap into understanding him, as he takes many cues from the novel and often believes his life is a representation of it. The character's facade is infinitely confident and flirtatious, and quotes passages from books just to pass the time. But deep down, he truly loves books as a means to help know himself. 
  2. Liesel Meminger from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- Liesel is a fascinating character, and part of that has to do with her voracious hunger for knowledge. The same day she buries her brother, she steals her first book, The Grave Diggger's Handboook. Over time, she learns to read it with the help of her foster family. Her love of words grows so much that not even Death can keep away. 
  3. Annabeth Chase from The Percy Jackson series (and The Heroes of Olympus series) by Rick Riordan- Since I read Percy Jackson before I read Harry Potter in full, Annabeth was pretty much my nerdy hero. Her tact and genius carried me throughout many of the adventures in the novels and I often wished the books were about her. Because she has dyslexia, her passion for learning through a medium which constantly fights her, books, is a powerful testiment to her willpower and huge nerdiness.
  4. Hazel Grace Lancaster from The Fault in our Stars by John Green- Hazel is so adorable. Like most characters on this list, she uses books as a means to explain her life while partially escaping from it. Her time is cut a little shorter than most, but her wealth of book nerdiness makes it seem like she's lived a lot longer.
  5. Artemis Fowl from the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer- Artemis is 12. And, like Hermione, this does not stop him from being a complete and utter know it all. Unlike Hermione, he's a complete buttface about it. I love Artemis because he grows from a pretty harsh kind of nerd, who uses the knowledge from books (mostly nonfiction) to hurt others and empower himself, to the true hero who uses that same knowledge to place himself in harms way for the sake of others.
What are your favorite bookish characters?
Let us know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Cath and Hermione were definitely on my list this week too^^ I like that you added Annabeth, Klaus and Elizabeth too! I still need to read TFiOS, Looking for Alaska, The Infernal Devices, The Book Thief and Artemis Fowl though but they're ALL on the tbr :)

    ReplyDelete