Monday, October 6, 2014

Countdown to Blood of Olympus: 1 Day

TOMORROW! TOMORROW IS THE DAY WE COME TOGETHER TO BE BROKEN ONCE MORE.

SO LET'S DO SOME FANART!


First, and this is going to be obvious to anyone in on tumblr, is Viria.
To me, Viria is the literal queen of Percy Jackson-related fanart. 

I mean just look at this:

Viria's deviant art. Go. Visit. Click link
above. Now.
How can you not look at this and be crying. Leo Valdez has been my favorite character of the Heroes of Olympus books since it began. He's charmingly messy, temperamental, witty, hilarious, loyal -- he's fantastic. I chose this fanart because it showcases to me one of Leo's most amazing qualities -- determination. He'll work himself near to death out of not just curiosity, but of a need to protect and help his friends as he's shown time and time and time again with Festus, the Argo II, and so on. Leo does not stop, he's a fire (excuse the obvious metaphor) that burns the midnight oil. And might I say he's got damn good fashion sense in this piece of art.

AND THIS ONE
THIS IS THE BEST BROSHIP EVER.

AND THIS PAN OF THE GANG

Since I don't want to make this a Viria-fest, I must tear myself away. But really, just go. She adds so much to the characters simply by drawing them -- like adding a charmander shirt to Leo because he's obviously a pokemon nerd. 

This is a Piper fanart from Neaveria

Most of Neaveria's work speaks for itself. It's so striking and beautiful, especially the eyes. It's almost as if Piper is staring off into the world. It reminds me quite well of Piper's ability to charm, and though one would think to show Piper's mouth to highlight that quality, I think it shows rather well in her gaze.

Finally, the perfect fanart for this scene by Taratjah:


Next to the Calypsleo and Jaco subplots in the last novel, this is one of my favorite scenes of the series:
Annabeth grabbed his wrist and flipped him over her shoulder. He slammed into the stone pavement. Romans cried out. Some surged forward, but Reyna shouted, “Hold! Stand down!”

Annabeth put her knee on Percy’s chest. She pushed her forearm against his throat. She didn’t care what the Romans thought. A white-hot lump of anger expanded in her chest—a tumor of worry and bitterness that she’d been carrying around since last autumn. 
“If you ever leave me again,” she said, her eyes stinging, “I swear to all the gods—” 
Percy had the nerve to laugh. Suddenly the lump of heated emotions melted inside Annabeth. 
“Consider me warned,” Percy said. “I missed you, too.”
I think the rawness of this scene is really captured in the harshness of Anabeth's features, the sharpness of her nose and elbow, her knee juts right into Percy yet he's so happy to see her. I can't help but sob recklessly when I read those lines or see images like this one, because it reminds me how damn hard these two have worked not only to save the world exhaustively, but how much they've worked to be with and save each other. It's one of the greatest friendships/romances I've ever had the pleasure to read and this scene captures it so perfectly.

- Marlon

What's your favorite Heroes of Olympus fanart?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment