Thursday, January 16, 2014

Discussion: The Fault in Our Stars Movie


The Fault in Our Stars (Movie)
John Green, Directed by: Josh Boone
Release Date: June 6th, 2014
Discussed by: Amrutha
On IMDB On Goodreads

Movie description: Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.

Book description: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Omg. I'm going to start raving about this plot. THIS WAS LIKE, ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF 2012. Def. worth reading, I suggest every single one of you read it and if you've already read it, you'll take this advice to read it again. It is filled with beautiful quotes that are actually appealing to a YA reader, or anyone in love. 

When I first heard Shailene Woodley was going to be playing the part of Hazel Grace, I was more than a little concerned. I had only ever seen her in A Secret Life of an American Teenager which, needless to say, frightened me. However, after some research and trailer viewing, my opinion quickly changed. She is truly a marvelous actress and I can't wait to see how she portrays one favorite characters. I'm a little upset that the actors are a little older than the characters, but oh well, I still have high hopes.

As for the movie poster - I love it. I love the way Shailene's hair is cut and I love the way the necklace is placed and I love the font of the title. I love it all. Except - I don't like the tagline.

"One Sick Love Story" 
What, are you kidding me? It's a great play on words and all, but it's seriously disturbing in the sense of its triple meaning. I don't like anyone implying that this love story is sick, despite any and all cancer that might be present.  This love story is one of courage and growing up and fighting for the person you love and about brilliant speeches and two awkward teenagers finding their way. I really hate this. hate. Please don't let this tagline influence the rest of the movie, I'll hate it if the movie turns out to be as cynical as this. Although I love cynicism and I love it from the characters, I'm not such a fan when it gets printed like this on the movie poster.

ALRIGHT FRIENDS I'M DONE THAT'S THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WITH IT (well, besides the one where this doesn't come out fast enough). This movie is one I've been dying for since March of 2012 - I will be one of the first in line to see it, because John Green is brilliant, and Hazel and Augustus are beyond perf. 

- Amrutha

How do you feel about this book? Are you excited for the movie? How do you feel about the news that was released so far?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment