Friday, September 13, 2013

Review: Cinder - Marissa Meyer

Cinder
Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Word Rating: Refreshingly Cool
On Goodreads

So I've had a very busy week (actually, a very busy few weeks, ever since college started) and I haven't had too much time to read. I'm still reading when I can, but I haven't had time to finish any thing from last week until this one, so I'm writing a review on a book I've previously read. Now, I don't have this book with me (I could only bring a few books with me to college because of the whole space issue and sadly, Cinder had to stay home) so I can't really give you any quotes or anything but I will still review it to the best of my ability!

Cinder was one of those impulse I'm-at-an-enormous-bookstore-in-Boston-and-I'm-going-to-grab-everything-that-looks-remotely-interesting buys. And I am definitely glad I made that impulsive grab, because it's a great book that I really liked. The book takes place in a distant future and centers around Cinder, a cyborg mechanic who lives with a stepmother who hates her cyborg nature, a stepsister of the same mindset, and a kinder, more loving stepsister. The story revolves around her entanglement with Prince Kai and company, the Lunar people, the plague, and her internal struggle to suppress certain desires and do what's right. Honestly, this book is just great. There are so many different plot lines that just connect so beautifully at the end. There are some things mentioned in the beginning of the book that tie in to the end that you would never have seen coming.And there are so many aspects of the plot that intertwine with each other and compliment each other that made me really love Cinder.

I also really loved the characters. Cinder is so dynamic and I love the way she thinks and speaks and acts. I also loved Prince Kai both as a person and a character. One of my favorite characters was Queen Levana. While I didn't care for her personality, her character intrigued me and I wanted to know more about her. Meyer did a great job making all her characters three dimensional and interesting.

The writing style was also very developed. While it wasn't perfect, elegant, oh-my-goodness-I-fell-off-my-chair writing, Marissa Meyers really captured Cinder's voice and distinguished her writing style from that of other writers in the genre. The narration made the book hard to put down, as I found myself just wanting to hear more of Cinder's thoughts and see how the story would pan out. While I thought a certain part of the end was a bit predictable, it was definitely a good creative decision and didn't at all deter from the beautiful way the different aspects of the story converged. Overall, this book was really enjoyable and I can't wait until I have time to read the next one in the series.

- Noor

Have you ever been negatively judged for something out of your control?
Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment